The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Converting free directory to paid

temi

affiliate
I wonder if anyone has every converted a free directory to a paid directory, did this increase the number of paid submission you receive?

I have a directory that has been free since I started it about 4-5 years ago. Its PR4 with PR3 and PR2 sub pages.

Standard listing is free but premium listing is paid, the problem is I only get one or two premium listing every 2 -3 months. I wonder if I cancel the free option and make it all paid directory if I will generate more revenue that way.

I get hundreds of free submission every month.... looking for suggestion from someone who has done similar thing before

I converted a web directory once, and I did not really have any success, mainly because the traffic was from a whole bunch of submitters and from free web directory lists and so on, so I did not see any difference.

Although, I did not have a strong PR on that web directory, can't remember if I even had one back then, but well worth a try, I believe your directory should do well as many look at the PR, something I don't look into :)

Meti

Thanks for your advice Meti, yes, I will give it a go this year and see if it success as a paid directory :)

The only time I would even think about free directory if it is an addition to existing site to provige some extra resources. To maintain quality directory you have to invest a lot of time into reviewing submissions and weedeng out the garbage. If you make it paid and create strict guidelines - most of this trash will not be submitted.

Since about 90% of directories is used by webmasters only, I think "paid" is the way to go...

I'm just about to switch my free directory to virtually fully paid. There are several factors when charging fees on directories:

General ones are difficult to work effectively, bcos of their very nature and bad reputation gained over the years. They have things against them like:

People don't trust them
Many are set up to take money and deliever zero ROI
Some are simply scams
Many are set up to collect and sell emails (generating spam)

so much against the model to begin with, it leaves only one choice and that's to serve those who are desperate for links eg: webmasters and the foolish. But as I said before, it's not where the real money is.

You need 2 things to make a directory have potential:

1. Lots of cash for promotion/development

2. A top unique idea

In reality the great idea will decimate all before it, leaving cash-pumped websites 'buying' exposure and a sense of Manufacturing success or forcing it, rather than natural success which is what's actually needed or preferred.

But even great ideas need cash injections and regular exposure to keep in minds of buyers.searchers. But idea websites have the advantage over manufactured success and this is key for the future.

The other headache is selling of pagerank - many dislike this practise and 'going paid' is built on selling PR these days, which says to me it's not a proper service being sold here, just some green pixels. So the very selling of PR has a negative result both short and long term, and why many directories won't survive. Well, people are wise to it......

This don't leave a lot of options and my advice is to not start a general directory, not any directory as the success rate is low, with just 1% 'making it' or getting some kind of decent exposure. I'd concentrate on something more entrepreneurial, and unique, as search engines are done to death and searchers are pretty much had it with yet another general search service and advertisers hate the spam associated with directories, and unlikely t make much from this, unless have the expertise to set up some kind of niche service to attract users and create a strong following.

The odds are against the directory model. I haven't seen much development in directories in the last 5 years and that's a long time. Even if you go paid, you need the exposure and you can't get that from link exchanges and using the serps - it not enough.

Can't see it happening myself.

Running a paid directory is not really recommended, unless you have something really unique. The question is why anyone would pay for a service they could get for free.

Not to mention the potiential risk that links from the directory wont pass any pagerank, and as such making the links totally useless, meaning they would have wasted their money.

I think it would be a good idea to ask if your directory is of any use to visitors, or if its just another directory, before you decide to charge webmasters to get included. Any submissions are more likely to come from "blackhat", I.e. Webmasters looking for quick short-term SEO, along with unknowingly webmasters, who likely just end up wasting their money totally.

Most directories advertise about traffic, without really delivering any, at least not directly. And the whole manual reviewing by editors/staff is outdated and ineffective.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between most paid and free web directories, most free directories are crap because the owner do not have/make money required to invest and grow the directories.
most paid directory are very good and they grow with the owner reinvesting what he collect from reviews, you cannot compare free and paid directory in terms of quality, there is not comparison at all.

I think it would be a good idea to ask if your directory is of any use to visitors, or if its just another directory, before you decide to charge webmasters to get included. Any submissions are more likely to come from "blackhat", I.e. Webmasters looking for quick short-term SEO, along with unknowingly webmasters, who likely just end up wasting their money totally.

And this basic question is what many don't care about. they won't run these things as proper businesses, they just are money collectors, flogging PR for cash and dont care about service. It's the wrong attitude to take, as many are worried about directories set up for PR selling purpose, and as you said - noone wants to lose their cash for nothing.

Why steal from the hand that feeds you

MI
Back