The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “CPA

My new website went online yesterday - my plans...

bigcat1967

Hey guys:

I put up an informational site with 35 pages...around five hundred to six hundred words per page. My keywords are in bold and have some internal linking between pages with anchor texts (using KWs). Title tags and pages are optimized etc. My main keywords take up let's say about 3% to 6% of my content.

Anyway, my site went live yesterday and hasn't been indexed as of yet. I am thinking about using just a few backlinks not for SEO purposes but for promotional. For SEO - I am thinking about turning my index page into a blog where I may change the content every couple days (but saving the older content to an archive). I am going to keep adding pages to the website - trying to make it an mega site some day.

The reason why I am changing the content on the index page is that I want to keep the content fresh for the SEs. I'm thinking that G will reward me because of this. Am I correct in thinking this?

Also - am I doing something wrong by not having a backlink campaign? I rather have my website backlinked naturally...and I have heard of a couple of people that have informational sites like mine where they have just a couple of backlinks but hundreds of optimized pages that is ranked number one in their niche.

If someone have experience with creating informational websites or just have an opinion on this - I would love to hear from you.

1. You don't need to change the index page at all. In fact, you might do much better to add additional pages with the new content.

2. You're not likely to make it to page one without a reasonable number of relevant backlinks. Build them slowly. Don't try to add 100 or 1000 all at once.

Thanks for your reply Minstrel.

I'll start with your second point. I'm in total agreement with you about building backlinks slowly (relevant ones). There are so many people using "Angela's Links" packages - it's crazy. People are backlinking from profile pages of websites listed in her package that are not relevant to their own site.

However, on your first point - this is what I've heard from some SEO ppl: They change their content on their index page to keep content fresh. They say that Google loves this. However, I can't find anything that supports their theory and I'm more apt to lean towards what you basically said...to add pages and no need to change the index page.

Adding new content to your site does help to keep search engine spiders coming back looking for new pages or revised old pages. That part is true.

However:

1. Fresh content in itself will not change your ranklings, just spidering frequency.

2. I don't know who those SEO people are but I think they're blowing smoke. Where that fresh content resides is not critical and probably should not be your home page. If you want to update your home page for some reason, consider highlighting your fresh content with some sort of RSS teaser feed linking to recent new pages.

MI
Back